Saturday, October 15, 2011

My little daughter's dress

October 372
It's been a bright sunshiney day here today, and what better way to enjoy it than by playing in the garden in a brand new warm woolly winter dress.  I'd planned to finish this for Kitty's birthday but as she's just a tad taller than the average bear and it was delayed while I ordered an extra ball of yarn.
October 362
But the new ball arrived last week and after a bit of playing around with the length I finished it off and handed it over to Kitty for some thorough product testing.  We've found it's good for picking grass...
October 377
... and for pushing our walker...
October 382
... and for crawling towards the edge of the wall....
October 435
... and bending ...
October 388
... and stretching.
October 419
And when we've finished all of that, for snuggling up in Mama's lap.

The pattern is Little Sister's Dress by Tora Froseth Design.  It's a simple, easy knit, and shows off the wonderful colours of a tropical fish Zauberball to their best advantage.
October 414
I knit the 18 month size but added a good few inches; to give you an idea of how much, I would have finished in the last section of dark blue and it would have barely covered her bottom.
October 411
The buttons came from my button tin (sorry for the lack of focus - little miss wriggles had decided she'd had enough of posing), they're red with little white stars around the edge and a perfect match.

H&M came up trumps again for long sleeved bright coloured baby vests and as well as this red one I found a turquoise that exactly matches the dress. I'm hoping that I've added enough extra length for this to last for a while but if she grows out of it there's a Big Sister Dress pattern that goes up to age 8.  It is very possible that she might acquire one in each size as she grows.

We went to the final birthday party of the season this afternoon and then popped into our favourite gallery and she was admired all around.  I think there could be a market for a grown up size - just maybe not in 4ply.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 am

    The sight of her in this little ensemble has me grinning from ear to ear! She is exquisite! You really did an amazing job on her dress and she seems quite happy in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its lovely, I've always liked this pattern and I love the yarn you chose, nice and bright! And the shoes, oh the shoes, they are wonderful, perfect for first shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dress! I'd love a grown-up size one, but suspect that it might stretch due to the weight!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment