Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rain, Wind and Wool

It's been a grey and grizzly day here today but happily we had exciting and shiny post to open.  Kitty thought the shiny silver packet was very very thrilling and was allowed to prod at it a few times before Mama opened it.

And what did we find inside?
February 144

Yarn!

Alice has been dyeing beautiful colours and had a little naming competition on her blog with a skein as the prize for the winning name.  So this, with suitable apologies to JWM Turner, is Rain, Wind and Wool

February 147
It's got the deep dark grey of a rain-filled cloud on the point of bursting, and that plummy purple is the steam from the original Rain, Steam and Speed, the sheen of wet tarmac after a downpour.

I loved the colour when I saw it on Alice's blog but the yarn base is just gorgeous in person; it's a wool, cashmere, nylon mix in a heavy fingering weight and I love it just as much as Kitty - thanks Alice, it's a real treat.

So given that it might just be too gorgeous to be socks, has anyone got any patterns to suggest? I've got 400 yards of Soccusu-X and I'm going to enjoy knitting it.

5 comments:

  1. That first photo with the big smile certainly brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, You lucky thing! I can see Miss Kitty is being brought up on only the very finest of yarns, start as you mean to go on, that's what I say!

    (I was looking at this yarn only a few hours earlier and was wondering how I could procure some, which I found I couldn't, is it as wonderful as it looks?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed - no plastic yarn has met Kitty's tiny touch. It is very wonderful yarn - I think it might occasionally make an appearance in the Socktopus shop so keep a watchful eye in that direction and fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors in that skein...Kitty has good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, by the way Carie--I asked mom to scan the pillowcase pattern for me showing how to roll and stitch (we checked and she was given the okay to copy it)...she has been swamped lately so hasn't been able to do it yet but when it is in my hands, I'll shoot it on to you. A very cool technique in my inexperienced opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment