Monday, August 23, 2010

Ready, Steady, Go?

August 165
Let me take you on a journey, just a little one I promise.  Come in through the door, along the hall, up the stairs and turn to your left, and what do you see:

August 163
It very much appears that our spare room/junk room/additional wardrobe room may perhaps have magically turned into a sweet little nursery.  We have a chest of drawers full of ready washed little baby clothes (which was just about the cutest laundry load I've ever pegged out - the scratch mitts are smaller than my clothes pegs!), and other useful baby type things; and next to it, the chair of great wonder and awesome comfort (a very special treat from H's parents).
August 162
And next to it is a bag all packed, well almost all packed; packed with a little list of things to be thrown in at the last minute - I can't really not use my hairbrush or my toothbrush for the next however long it takes just so that I can say that I'm totally packed.
August 160
The changing mat stands ready and waiting on top of the cot,
August 161
and little horse and hedgehog are ready and waiting for someone to play with.
 August 159
Although tiny wee zebra and tiny wee giraffe may be more to the scale of the future incumbent of this moses basket.
August 144
We have nappies and muslin squares and cotton wool and all sorts of things that smell essentially baby.  There's just one thing missing - a certain little person, whole whilst terribly wriggly as I sit writing, shows no signs of planning on making an imminent arrival (unlike the son of an antenatal class colleague who made his arrival at exactly 38 weeks on Saturday morning to the surprise of the rest of the class and no doubt his delighted parents).

Well little baby of mine, your nursery is all ready and waiting for you, your mother can collapse your buggy on two out of three attempts so we won't be completely housebound when your father is at work, and I've been practicing clipping your car seat and pram cot in and out of the chassis so we're looking good.  I know you're keen to meet your Daddy because I feel how you wriggle towards him whenever you hear his voice, and if it's the chicken and salami pasta sauce that I made for supper that you're so keen on, I promise to make it again.  All in all, we're ready to meet you any time you feel like it.

Oh, and I made you a blanket:

August 155
Just perfect for learning your ABCs when the time comes, and for snuggling up with Mummy or Daddy in the meantime.

August 156


















Every time I finish one of these and pull it off the blocking wires I know exactly why I've now knitted four identical blankets.  It's kismet, a unity of Baby Cashmerino and a classic pattern.  It's possible that I could knit another of these for a niece or nephew someday, but I might choose something different, in which case, this is my last (and best) alphabet blanket.  It doesn't have the technical whiztrickery of an Alice Starmore blanket (which is awaiting the baby in a drawer, guarded by cedar block sentries), or the nubbly texture of a Cox's Orange Pippin blanket, but I'd like to think that it has a classic elegance, and whereas Point Reyes is specifically Baby Bear's, this is the blanket that I hope I get to wrap around all of my children.

I've got one little thing on the needles that is for the bear, but if it doesn't get finished, it isn't the end of the world, and the knitting for other people's babies and my quilting can always wait, but I'm not going to say that I've finished this baby's knitting just yet - I'd still like to have time to clean the bathroom.

7 comments:

  1. Excited! Excited!

    Is it worth investing £5 on a spare toothbrush and a small hairbrush just to be able to say the bag is entirely ready?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on in there, another week and you'll have a September baby, oldest in the class.

    My own piece of advice is, as you pick up your bag and head for the door, make a round of sandwiches. After a long day when you've missed several meals you may find that the hospital restaurant is closed and that there is nothing for new mummies to eat, even if said mummy is feeding a new baby.

    The blanket is lovely but plop a baby on it and you could have three T's and we wouldn't notice. Keep up with the resting, the bathroom can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nursery is lovely, a perfect balance of practicality dotted with pretty soft toys and cozy blankets.

    The only advice I can give you is that you might want to think about having a heavier set of curtains. Although of course it won't be so bad come Autumn proper, but babies will wake at first light and if that is earlier than you would like, heavier curtains do help.

    I've always liked that ABC blanket, the triangles finish it off a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've both made the loveliest nest possible for your new baby. May you all enjoy the preciousness of the arrival of your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nursery is beautiful, I have been following your blog for a while, and I love your stuff, that blanket is fab. I also love knitting, and busy knitting teddies, and cardies at the mo! Take care and all the best with babes! xx Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like such a perfect spot for the little bear whenever he chooses to make his grand appearance! The thought of learning one's ABCs from a knitted blanket makes me a little giddy!

    Can't wait to see a 'He's arrived and everyone is happy and healthy post!'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:41 pm

    Now I realise just how out of touch I've been with all things woolly - I didn't even know you were expecting!
    The room looks lovely.
    Hope all goes smoothly.
    Love and best wishes
    Shelley (very ex web of wool knitclub-er)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment