Monday, March 08, 2010

Baby Knitting

When H mentioned that he's been knitting more than me in the past few months he was for once being serious. He found a Baby Surprise Jacket stuck half way through a row, trailing yarn and looking perilously close to being tipped into a glass of fizzy ginger while the real knitter lay semi-somnolent and groaning on the sofa, and being a well trained man of yarn, he recalled that half rows were a bad idea, and polished off the end of the row with remarkably even tension.

It may have been a baby surprise jacket, but not for the little bear; I'm too cautious to count my bears before the scan! I did cast on something for our little one last week, but having knit two sleeves and a good chunk of the body, I have concluded that the colour is just all wrong and it's getting frogged. Having wailed at the poor boy about the fact that the yarn wasn't quite the right colour and that this clearly meant that I will be a terrible mother because I can't even choose the right colour yarn to make the perfect baby sweater etc etc (hormones make such a lovely addition to my usually perfectionist personality, oh yes!), H wisely concluded that the wrong yarn should go back into the stash to be knit for someone else that it will actually suit, and I should purchase the 'right' yarn. Phew, I'm so relieved.

The baby surprise jackets, for there are two, are for my two newest second cousins, both baby girls.
February 035
This one, which should be entitled 'Winter Sunshine', went to little L who arrived in January.

March 008

Whereas this one, 'Josephine's Coat of Many Colours' will hit the post tomorrow, going south to fairy princess T, who arrived rather quickly the week before last, much to the surprise of her father, who ended up doing the delivering - perhaps a BSJ is rather apt!

And just in case you thought I'd forgotten, may I present (drum roll please)

March 006
H's Olympic socks.

The eagle eyed among you will note from the bagginess and the soft and fluffy nature of the feet that these did not meet the camera for some while, and may perhaps have been stolen from H's feet while he was sleeping (I did put clean socks back on!). We are about to discover what Malabrigo thinks of my washing machine's wool cycle!
March 005
The pattern is a little subtle because of the variegation in the yarn but I think H rather likes it that way!

And finally, a massive thank you to everyone who sent their congratulations for our little bear-to-be; we loved reading every one of them and meeting a whole load of de-lurkers and I think I'll have to print that page some day and put it in the baby's book-of-random-thoughts-and-stories-from-Mummy-and-Daddy.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:11 pm

    congratulations on inspiring some male knitting, I think it should be encouraged !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:25 pm

    WOW.........such gorgeous colors in the sweaters and I am jealous...LOL... I must applaud your beautiful work...

    Gingir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the boy is already dealing well with the wildly fluctuating hormones! Beautiful sweaters and that's so cool that he finished up a row for you! Now you just need to teach him to knit socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome socks! I love the colorway, too. Someday, I *will* master the art of knitting socks. That is, I can knit socks, just not the right size. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment