Monday, March 30, 2009

Sprung

March 155
It's official - Spring is here, we're past the equinox and the ornamental cherry tree in the front garden has effervesced into bloom. It seemed only appropriate to celebrate having survived the frozen wasteland that was our temperate winter by knitting myself a pair of Spring Socks:March 163

The first socks of the year to be photographed in a shrub! The yarn is Opal Crazy in colour 1902 which (sadly) has no-name. I hereby christen it Easter Egg because it reminded me of Spring and Easter the entire time.

Initially I thought it had to do with the colours in the garden and the colours in the yarn; we have bands of daffodil yellow with spiky green leaf stitches:

March 148
Blossom against a blue sky that's only just starting to deepen into that rich summer hue;
March 153
Cream with green leaves March 158
(only slightly noshed by our resident hedgehog who has a quite serious taste for primroses - he's a little camera shy but I'll show you if we ever get the chance)
March 157
And I could see how the little allover flecks of green:
March 166
Were identical, even in shape to the new buds on the fuchsia:
March 162

But, much as I would like you to imagine me spending my days drifting around my garden, matching sock yarn to emerging blossoms and blooms, the truth will out.

The yarn is not so much reminiscent of the new life abundant at Easter, as the foil wrappings on the Easter Eggs (ah! the shame!).

Way back when, before I was tall enough to liberate the Easter Eggs from the top of the Welsh Dresser, my Easter eggs could last for weeks, doled out in suitable installments after meals. Zee used to be given a Cadbury Roses egg, and I had a Quality Street egg. This was when the sweets actually came inside the egg and we would carefully smooth out all of the foil wrappings to fashion into impossibly huge costume jewellery for ourselves and any handy bears.March 169

Perhaps it should be Quality Street Yarn! - on a side note, when did they stop having the peanut ones in Quality Street? I used to really like those and the replacement was a sad disappointment.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely Spring flowers, and of course the very "spring coloured" socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...you do not realize how much I appreciate seeing your spring pictures! It means it exists somewhere in the world even if not here yet!

    I'm not sure whether I should laugh at you matching candy wrappers to your pretty spring sock or be concerned :) Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what a beautiful spring post - socks AND flowers AND candy!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment