Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas? Make it so!

The British press is currently full of articles asking 'whether it is OK to make your Christmas gifts' and announcing that sales of 'thrift' and make-it-yourself books have rocketed. It's all rather entertaining from the perspective of a long term crafter because I find it hard to envisage a Christmas or birthday in which many of my nearest and dearest are not the happy recipients of something that took time to make.

In this last week I've finished up a couple of things that I think I'm safe to show here. If you think that you get cold on the train in the morning and you work in Oxford then skedaddle - come back after Christmas!

For the rest of you (and Kay in particular who served as inspiration for this project):
December 089
I fell down a little Noro shaped rabbit hole. Oops.

I asked our friend A whether he wanted anything particularly soft and woolly for Christmas and he may have mentioned more than once that he got a little chilly on the station in the morning. He is conservative in style and muted of colour so I cast around for the plain and simple but not so plain and simple that the knitter would end up in a garter stitch induced coma on Christmas eve.
December 090
Enter Silk Garden colours 234 and 203 and the skills of Brooklyn Tweed - the scarf follows his pattern for a Noro striped scarf and the hat is Turn a Square using 203 for the main colour and 234 for the accent.
December 021
H, who has hereto shown no interest in a scarf, is now dropping hints so I think this must be a hit.

The best bit though? I got to knit the scarf on my wonderful Peace Fleece ladybird needles - bought in Paris on our first wedding anniversary. I'm going to have to knit more of these scarves just to use the needles!
December 024

2 comments:

  1. I came to scarves very late in my knitting life and I'm so glad about that. They seem to go on forever, it's a real test of staying power to get to the end. Colour changes help though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Noro projects are beautiful, Carie! Isn't it a mesmerizing yarn, though!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment