Monday, November 03, 2008

Candyfloss

Good enough to lick?
November 002

I've not been abandoning the embroidery I promise - just taking a little break to stretch out arms and wrists and give into a little temptation without falling down the rabbit hole and casting on a million new projects and at least 40 quilts.

I've read somewhere that Spindle spinning is slower by the hour and faster by the week and the latter certainly seems to be true because this:

November 013

Is approximately 1/3 of the 102g of fibre which is hopefully headed towards a 3ply pair of socks.

Whatever it is, it's my first 'bobbin', and by 'bobbin' I mean straw from KFC - a great tip from Diane though because it works really well - I just slid the yarn from the spindle to the straw, no rewinding or anything. I think I have two more straws so I'll have to rework the ice cream tub lazy kate at some point.

I think I'm spinning it fine enough to by a 4ply weight 3ply (and yes I know that sentence only makes sense in England) but those in the know please let me know what you think - is that fine enough for 3ply or should I try 2ply?

3 comments:

  1. hey, it looks like our favourite candy floss...yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sample - make a short length of 2, 3 and 4 ply. I know that it feels like a waste of fibre but like a tension square it's a sound investment. It pouffs up when you ply it so although it looks thin now it mught end up being thicker than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:59 pm

    Mmmmm. A bit fuzzy on the tongue though...

    I'd say it's plenty fine enough for a 3-ply - looks awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love hearing from people so please leave a comment